Friday, December 2, 2011

Moving on



It was strange cleaning out my cube today. I didn't have much time to reflect. It was a busy day of doing as much as I could to train my replacement. I think it was a great thing for me to be really busy on my last day in my old job. I had to stay a few minutes longer than my shift to fit in some last-minute training and clean up my cube. I left my box on my old desk and will take it to my new one on Monday.

I can't help thinking of the last time I cleaned out a work desk. It was three years ago a few days after I was laid off from my job at the Wisconsin State Journal. At the time I had no idea what I would do with the rest of my life. It took a year to get a job, and two more years after that, but I think I've found my career. I know what I'm doing for the rest of my life. Even though my next job is another project, I have the confidence that I will get permanent. I will continue to move up. I'll hold the same job for more than three years and be a lifer in unemployment insurance.

Nervous doesn't begin to describe how I feel right now. I'm excited for the opportunity, nervous to start doing totally different work than I've ever done, sad to leave the safety and comaraderie of my current office. While I didn't really have a lot of close friends there, I definitely have people I'll miss. Yes I'm just moving down the hall, but to a totally different department and I don't know how often our paths will cross. Its just weird. I'm the new girl again. It was easier when I started here two years ago because there were 16 of us starting together. This time I think its just me.

The next adventure starts Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment