Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Bumps, bruises and blood

When I became a parent, I knew what I signed up for. I expect the injuries and I know I can't protect Allie from everything. We've seen the bumps and bruises plenty in her short life. But last night when she fell and split her lip open and I saw all that blood, it was hard to stomach!

It wasn't really a lot of blood. But it was more than I would have expected to come from her lip. She'd been playing by Dada and fell down hitting Dada's knee. It really gushed out at first and got all over her shirt. I thought she'd lost a tooth! I sat her down out in the kitchen and we wiped away the blood (which gushed out a bit more before it finally stopped!) and could finally see that her teeth were fine. She was fine and she liked dabbing the wet rag on her lip for a little while. Mama kissed the owie and it was all better.

She recovered and went on playing, but ended up sitting on the couch with Mama and Dada and we decided to take her up to bed after that. She was tired. And we were too.

The whole incident was a bit nerve racking. Dada was pretty upset by it. I suppose I was too, but I was more calm. We know this is by no means the last time our little girl is going to bleed. And I'm sure there will be worse injuries than this. But its just so scary to know that not only will our little girl bleed, we can't protect her from it. I guess the only reassurance is that we will be there to help fix it. I just wonder how it will be if or when its something that we can't fix so easily with a little kiss?

No comments:

Post a Comment