Friday, January 14, 2011

A family full of illness

January hasn't been kind to us so far. Allie has had her teething mess while Doug and I have had sinus issues. Last week I succombed to a cold heading into the weekend and was better by the time Monday came around. But it wasn't over.

Allie started crying when she was eating on Saturday afternoon. I blamed it on the teething, that somehow the food was bumping her gums and making her teeth hurt? By Monday afternoon though I finally decided that wasn't the case. Allie and I stayed home Tuesday because she was so miserable and a trip to the doctor was in order. The doctor confirmed the suspicion I'd had since the weekend, that Allie had a sore throat. Unfortunately that early they could only assume it was viral, so there were no meds. At least that meant there was no chance for strep! All we could do was give her tylenol a half hour or so before meals and give her cold and smooth foods. Allie's been eating thinned out otameal, yogurt and applesauce pretty exclusively all week.

The saga doesn't end there, however. Doug was saying all weekend he didn't feel good. He ended up staying home on Monday and I was actually a little irked because he seemed find. I thought he was faking. Well, by the time Allie and I got home Monday night, it was a different story! I'll spare the details, but there's a stomach bug going around and Doug caught it.

So it was the three of us home on Tuesday and then Doug went to work Wednesday. Allie and I stayed home again, though I could have taken her to daycare. But then it ended up that I needed to stay home too. I caught the bug Doug had. Yikes. It went through me a little quicker though and I was able to get back to work on Thursday.

The good news is all three of us are on the mend. Allie even seems to have recovered from her sore throat. I'm glad for that because seeing her cry because it hurt to swallow but she was hungry is the most heart-breaking thing I've had to deal with in her life!

No comments:

Post a Comment