Friday, January 14, 2011

Friday Flashback: Dead of winter

January 2009 didn't start out well. Frustrated with my lack of healing on my pelvic stress fracture, between Christmas and New Years I'd decided to get crutches to start keeping my weight off that side in hopes of getting some healing. On the 3rd there was a winter storm with ice accumulation while I was working. Stupid me slipped on the ice while trying to get to my car while still using the crutches. Ooops! I ended up with whiplash.

The the next week I sprained my elbow because of those darn crutches. I had them adjusted wrong. Within a few days I had crutches, whiplash and then a sling.

The worst part of the month came on the 19th when I was laid off from my job of three years as copy editor at the Wisconsin State Journal. Two years later I've obviously moved on, but I am still bothered by it. I would cut off my arm if it meant I could work in the newspaper business again. Its a career I truly loved.

One tough year later, its January 2010. I am still uemployed. I didn't expect to be unemployed that long. I had a few interviews but I didn't have any prospects. Life consisted of getting used to having Allie around and making plans for a date night on Jan. 19. There was no way I was going to spend that night at home.

But on Jan. 4, I was offered a job! Its ironic to the max. I interviewed on my birthday for the job in the unemployment office. And I started on Jan. 19, so we didn't have that anniversary night out after all.

On Wednesday, I'll have my one-year anniversary. Its not my dream job and its not what I want to do for the rest of my life. Its also not permanent. But it works for us right now.

The last few Januaries have been tumultuous. I wonder what next January will bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment