Friday, January 21, 2011

Friday flashback: The day that started it all

I call a lot of days "the day that started it all," but Jan. 20, 2005 really is the day that started it all. That is the day Doug and I had our first date! And to think that date might not have happened at all if a couple of our friends hadn't noticed that we liked each other, but needed a little push to get together.

It was a Thursday night and we went out to Houlihan's in Carbondale, which was new at the time and probably the nicest restaurant available, at least in my opinion. Doug insists he wasn't nervous, but I remember the way he twirled his napkin around while looking at the table! He was definitely nervous. We went to a movie after dinner and in spite of some confusion about when it was OK to start hand holding and then an awkward kiss goodnight, it was a great time. I remember too that he asked me to go to Steak 'n' Shake after, but I had to babysit early the next morning. I think he went home thinking I didn't like him after all. But then to go against the norm, I called him first.

I always used to laugh at women who said they knew the moment they met their husbands, but it became true for me. I knew early that first summer in Carbondale that I'd met mine! It just took us a little while to get together. But we haven't left each other's side ever since. For all my saying I'd never gone into journalism, if I hadn't gone into journalism I may never have lived in Carbondale. And if I'd never lived in Carbondale, where would I be now?

Almost 5 years later, we took our first family picture on our way home from the hospital. And now 6 years later, we've got a good thing going and I can't imagine my life turning out any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment