Sunday, March 13, 2011

Not finished yet

Last weekend Doug was reading through a book of poems and stories for new mothers that was in Allie's room. He found this poem that seems espcially appropriate at this time in Allie's life (the original poem is about a boy, so I changed those parts).

"Remind me , God, that she is not finished yet.
When she tests me and I grow intolerant,
Let my example be a good one.
Help me discipline this child with affection.
Should I grow angry, let me guard against unkindness.
Support me in helping her to be curious,
to sample the wonders of the world.
When I find motherhood frightening,
grace me with strength.
Bless me with energy to do this urgent work.
When I forget that she is only a child, help me
to remember."

-Linda Goodman Robiner

I've been repeating that first line a lot since I first read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment