Saturday, May 21, 2011

Friday flashback (on Saturday): 8 years ago

Thursday was May 19, which marked 8 years since my first day working at The Southern Illinoisan in Carbondale. I was barely two weeks past my college graduation and one of few who worked at The Daily Eastern News who had a job before graduation. I wished I'd taken more time off before working. But there I was, new city, living really on my own in my first single apartment, starting my first job.

May 19, 2003, was also the day I met my future husband. I didn't know it at the time! It would be over a year and a half before we started dating. But honestly, I figured it out pretty quickly that first summer in Carbondale. If I had to pick one thing that started it, I'd say it was that we got along really well, right from that first day of work.

I wrote a few weeks ago about the bittersweet anniversaries that were marked in April, five years ago when I moved to Madison to work at the Wisconsin State Journal and four years ago when we closed on our house. I wrote that if we hadn't moved here, we wouldn't live in such a great city, in such a great house, and have such a great little girl and a great family.

I have often wished I'd never wasted the time going into newspapers. I knew in college it didn't pay.

But if I'd never moved to Carbondale for the first job out of college, when I actually believed newspapers had a future, I would never have met my husband! Its not too easy to have a great house in a great city and a great family without first meeting my husband!

No comments:

Post a Comment