Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I've run a marathon... sort of

So far in May, I've run 26.2 miles! I wonder if I'll ever tackle the 26.2 miles all in one day? That is my ultimate goal, but I have no idea when it becomes a realistic one.

Running is getting better every day, though my shin splints are still present. Apparently taking three weeks off by itself wasn't enough. I'm working on stretching and strengthening my legs though and it is getting better.

I had two goals before starting training for my Aug. 21 half marathon and I surprisingly met them both last week. I wanted to get my long run up to 6 miles and run between 12 and 15 miles in one week. I surprised myself with a 6-mile long run on Saturday, which pushed my mileage for the week to 12.

But I'm not going to rush into half marathon training. Instead I think I'll take another couple weeks to build up my mileage a little more, not to mention continue on my quest to strengthen my legs. My new orthotics have helped, but they aren't a cure all, so I'm stepping up my strengthening efforts.

I am feeling a lot better about my running now than I was back in March when I decided I shouldn't run the Madison half. As much as it stunk to make that decision, I know it was the right one, and it paid off. There is no doubt in my mind that I will be running the Madison Mini-Marathon on Aug. 21, followed a month later with the Fox Cities half marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment