Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Asthma

I wouln't wish asthma on anyone. I really hope my child doesn't get asthma.

A couple weeks ago I had a sinus infection that aggravated my asthma. It followed my usual pattern for an asthma flareup. My doctor told me to double my dose of my steroid inhaler and she gave me a paper prescription for prednizone. She said that in pregnancy the oral steroid is OK, but we didn't want to jump right to that. So I doubled my inhaler dose and I thought I was getting better. I shredded the paper prescription.

Unfortunately I didn't get all the way better. I had read about shortness of breath becoming a problem in pregnancy because of the onslaught of progesterone. Since I thought I was better from the asthma flare, I thought that was my problem. I talked to my OB office yesterday and they said I should talk to my primary clinic.

I ended up going to the doctor yesterday afternoon and it turns out that since I didn't use the prednizone, I just didn't get better. I have the prednizone now and within an hour of taking the first pill yesterday I felt better than I had in a week.

So I am very glad to be feeling better! I am happy that it turns out my asthma isn't getting worse and it seems the shortness of breath is not from the hormones.

So I'm crossing my fingers that the asthma is resolved for now. I'm so annoyed that I haven't been able to work out much lately. Seems like there's always something keeping me from it! But I'm getting better so I'm optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment