Monday, November 2, 2009

We're doing great


Life is pretty awesome now. We're all doing great in the 24 hours since we've been home. Allie is still sleeping a lot and Doug and I have slept so much better at home than we did in the hospital.

Allie saw the pediatrician for the first time today. It was so weird writing her name on all the forms! She's lost almost a pound off her birth weight, which is normal. We'll be going in again tomorrow for a weight check. I guess its normal for babies to lose about 10 percent of their birth weight before mom's milk comes in and they really start eating. She lost the weight as she's gotten rid of all the mucous and yucky stuff that was left in her body after she was born. If her weight goes down too much more, we may have to supplement with a little formula until she really starts eating.

Breastfeeding has been a little tough for me, but its getting better everytime we've tried. A big problem is just trying to keep Allie awake to eat! Its kinda crazy because they said the reason she's so sleepy is because she's not getting a ton of nourishment just yet, which is normal. But she can't seem to stay awake to eat and get that nourishment! We saw a lactation consultant while we were at the doctor and she really helped give me some good tips to improve the feeding. She did also give us a little formula to give Allie this evening just to get a little energy boost and see if that will get her to stay more awake for feedings.

I am feeling really good. I must be recovering well because I had several people at the doctor's office tell me today that I looked great and they wouldn't know I gave birth three days ago! I'm sure my exercising made all the difference. It didn't keep the weight off, but I'd say I'm definitely reaping the benefits now.

Even though I'm feeling good, I still need to try not to do too much. I am still plenty tired and sore. I'm looking forward to getting back to the gym and wearing non-maternity clothes again, but I know that could be awhile. I'm making myself wait at least one week before trying on any non-maternity pants. Its kinda funny though because while I still have a bit of the belly, my pants are falling down now!

My bed is so comfortable. Its been such a long time since I was comfortable in bed, and especially after spending two days in the uncomfortable hospital bed, my bed was heavenly last night. Throughout the night I slowly removed pillows from the fortress and now the only pillows remaining are the ones for my head.

Things are definitely still busy here. It takes a long time to get things done sometimes. I took some time to write down the details of Allie's birth while I was still in the hospital before I could forget anything. Hopefully soon I can write her birth story and get it posted here soon. I will also post some more pictures. But it can't be done on my schedule anymore!

2 comments:

  1. I love that picture of the three of you. You and Doug look so incredibly happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad things are going well! Hope that breastfeeding keeps going better. Audrey kept falling asleep when she was Allie's age, too! I would let her eat on one side and then change her diaper and wake her up that way before we tried to have her eat more.

    ReplyDelete