Sunday, August 1, 2010

July in review: Back to earth

Consistency is key! This month I ran 33.2 miles. Thats .6 more miles than my previous distance record, so now I have a new record! I did this with one run of 4 miles and many more of 2 and 3. I started with just 1 mile at a time at the end of June. I've definitely learned the consistency is key and I've also figured out how to gain that consistency. I run early in the morning before work and I really like it.

July: 33.2 miles, 7:31:06
March: 32.6 miles, 7:35:19
Its interesting to me that I ran more, but in less time. In March I was training for the half marathon, and running inconsistently and more miles at each run. It sheds some light on why I had shin splint problems!

After my shin splints I decided to train to run without walking breaks. Its a challenge but I keep surpassing my goals. Its not as hard as I thought it would be. Sure, I could head out right now and probably run 6 miles with some run/walk intervals, but thats what has lead to problems with my shins, achilles tendons and feet.

My weekly workouts are usually a spin class Monday at 5:30 a.m., runs Wednesday and Friday running whenever I can get out the door after 5 a.m., and then a "long" run Sunday afternoonish. That schedule went a little haywire this last week and I did a little too much. So as a result, I'm pulled back down to earth with a little shin pain. I cheated and ran two days in a row and I also realized that I'd skipped proper stretching after runs, both things that led to the shin pain. I'm still undecided about running today.

I'm looking into some races and also some training plans. I need the structure of a training plan to keep that shin pain at bay. I'm also working to find a good day and time to add a fifth workout to my week.

As we enter August, I'm happy that my sore back has been getting a lot better. I've been seeing the chiropractor for two months now and finally in the last few weeks its been paying off. He's been adjusting other spots in the middle of my spine in addition to my SI joint. In addition, I have core exercises that I've been working on for a couple weeks. I'm really starting to notice my core and my posture more. I know the root of my problem is that I don't have any core strength left.

Doug and I are both doing better on eating well and working out. We're more used to our crazy schedule and actually cooking dinner and taking lunch. I lost 3 pounds in July. Its not much, but its a start. I'm trying to make meals with more variety and also to make meals that we can divide and freeze for another time. I've done that with a few dishes and it works really well.

As I wrote Friday, Allie just keeps growing. She has her 9-month check up tomorrow. We always love finding out her stats! She's started wearing some 12-month clothes. Its bittersweet as she grows. I'm excited for the things we can do with her as she gets older, but I want her to stay small forever! We're slowly babyproofing the house. We've moved a lot of stuff out of the living room, but that just exposes more things we don't want Allie to get.

Life is good here in the Durso house. It was really tough going for so long, it feels weird that things are good. I know that could change at any time, but for now I'll just be content!

Goals for August:
-Keep that consistency in running! Find a training plan so I don't hurt myself.
-Increase my long run to 5 miles. I think the best way to do this will be to add half a mile to my long run every other week.
-Add a fifth workout to the week. The most logical times are Thursday evening or Saturdays. I want that fifth workout to be cross training of some sort. Its awhile before I'll try adding a fourth run to the week.
-Find more variety for our dinners and also more multi-use meals.
-Finish babyproofing so that we don't have to worry so much about chasing Allie!

1 comment:

  1. YAY! I'm so excited that things are going so well for you, both with running and with your back feeling better. Everyone is different, and it's great that you found the training method that works for you.

    I did try the Military Ridge trail back in May. It was pretty and the soft surface was nice, but honestly it was a bit boring because it was just trees the whole way and not a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete