Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Not the week I expected

Monday started out well enough. I got up early with Allie to let Doug sleep in a little. We played in the living room and when Doug got up I made blueberry pancakes, and we gave Allie some blueberries. After that I was going to go for a run. I couldn't think of a better way to start my week off than running around the arboretum mid-morning, just like I used to. I also wanted to have a better run than my 5K race on Saturday.

Well, I was having a great run. It seemed like it was going really quickly. I had started with a slower pace and gotten faster with each mile. I wanted to run 5, but was hoping I'd be up for 5.5. I was coming back intot the arb finishing mile 4 and struggling. I was managing to run through my struggles, when I fell. In that part of the arb I would usually switch between the road and the gravel on the side of the road. I don't know if I was going back to the gravel or I just tripped. But I tripped off the side of the road and sprained my ankle.

It hurt right away. But I was able to walk on it, which was good because I had to walk a mile and a half back to the car. Even if I'd had my cell phone with me, I also had the car, so Doug couldn't have rescued me. I guess it was the adrenaline. I knew that once I got off it, I wouldn't be able to keep walking. I was right.

When I started walking again, I was determined to finish my run. But I wouldn't be able to and the whole walk back I was just ticked off that I couldn't finish my run.

I took a spectacular spill. I'm surprised I didn't skin my face. I have skinned palms, elbows and a knee that hurt more than the ankle sometimes.

So I spent the first few days on the couch with my leg elevated and on ice and ibuprofin. Its better now. We were supposed to leave this morning for southern Illinois, but we decided to wait a day. I'm glad we can still go. It would have been disappointing to cancel.

This morning the clinic called and told me a radiologist had read my xray and there actually was a small fracture, but he or she wasn't sure if it was from this injury or an old one. Its feeling much better so I'm just functioning as normal. I won't run again until I see the doctor next week. It seems like every time I really get going, I have some sort of snag. But it could have been worse.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! Hopefully the fact that it doesn't hurt soooooooo bad means that it's an old injury. I hope you are still able to see Doug's parents this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about crutches?!? I had to use crutches when I sprained my ankle.

    ReplyDelete