Saturday, June 13, 2009

I went running today!

Despite my continuing knee issues, I was able to run a bit on the treadmill today. I did three 5-minute intervals in between some fast walking. It was tough since its been about a month since my last run, but if felt good during and after.

I think however much longer I run in my pregnancy, it will be exclusively on the treadmill. The treadmill is a softer surface so its nicer to my knee. But more importantly, if I run on a treadmill, I am not far from a bathroom.

With baby's pressing on my bladder, I don't think I can run for too long at one time without a break. Today I did 40 minutes and then went to the bathroom three times within an hour of finishing! But since my knee took the running today, I'll run on the treadmill once or twice a week. Probably no races or anything, but its at least another activity on my slate.

Yesterday I got a 25-day trial membership at a gym in Middleton. It cost me $25, but I think thats a good deal because the cheapest gym memberships around here are at least $40 a month for individual and $60 for a couple, and thats at the YMCA. Others are quite a bit more. Gold's Gym is normally $50 per person! That's why Doug and I joined. Our promotional rate is $50 total per month for a two-year membership and after that we can continue at that rate month by month. This trial membership will take me almost up to Gold's Gym's opening.

Anyway, this gym has four pools and plenty of classes to go around. I'm mostly interested in the spinning and swimming right now, but I will do some aerobics classes and then also mix the treadmill in here and there.

My goal is to stay active. I hope to curb the weight gain, but even if working out doesn't curb the gain, it will make labor easier and also make it easier to get back into the routine and lose the weight after the baby is born. Not to mention working out is great me time and stress relief.

So I'm not running any races and I'm definitely not breaking and speed records, but its good to know that my running days aren't quite over yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment