Friday, October 29, 2010

Friday Flashback: The day it all began

Around 6 a.m. Oct. 29, 2009, I went back to bed after being up an hour or so, unable to sleep. It had become a pretty regular occurrence as I had gotten more uncomfortable in bed. I started to feel what I thought could be my first real contractions. I tried to time them but they weren't regular and I fell asleep. I woke up a few hours later and they seemed to be gone, but my back was really sore. Turned out I was right, but the whole process took a looooong time.

I remember random things about that for the most part normal day. Doug came home for lunch and I made a frozen skillet meal and heated some garlic bread in the oven. I burned the side of my hand on the oven door taking it out. I told Doug I thought I'd been having contractions, but they weren't regular, it wasn't time to go yet and it could have still been a week or more. I met a friend for coffee in the afternoon and afterward mailed the second batch of thank you notes from my baby shower. I had the feeling I'd gotten them done just in time. We had Little Ceasar's pizza for dinner and I spent the evening laying on my side in bed while Doug finished packing the hospital bag. Called the clinic and the doctor on call told me I could go to the hospital because I thought I couldn't talk through the contractions. We were sent home with a sleeping pill and I later found out what its like to REALLY not be able to talk through a contraction (and that a sleeping pill doesn't help when the contractions get painful enough!)

Almost 39 hours after that first real contraction, I finally had my baby in my arms.

That day made the terrible year of 2009 completely worth it. Giving birth was the hardest thing I've ever done. I was blown away by the intense love I felt for my little girl. I still am blown away by it even now.

No comments:

Post a Comment