Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Hypothyroidism

I am happy to report I barely passed my glucose tolerance test! But barely is still passing. I will have to retake the glucose tolerance test in about a month and a half to make sure I still pass. So I don't have gestational diabetes! This is the test in pregnancy that I was most nervous about, so I'm glad I passed.

My blood was also tested for my thyroid hormone levels and I failed that test. Turns out I have hypothyroidism, where my thyroid gland doesn't produce enough hormone. Thats easily treatable though, and it may help explain my weight gain in pregnancy.

I started taking a supplement to bring the level up to normal. I don't think my hormone is terribly low, since my supplement pill isn't a very big dose. But I'm hopeful treatment will help curb my gain for the rest of pregnancy and help with the weight loss afterward.

Hypothyroidism is an autoimmune disease, where my body produced antibodies against my thyroid hormone. The thyoid hormone affects metabolism, which is why it can cause weight gain. At least, thats how I understand it. Hypothyroidism can start in pregnancy, as I susupect mine did, but I'll have it forever. I am not surprised to have it since both my mom and my sister have it. I also read that people with other autoimmune conditions are more susceptible, and I do have asthma.

The funny thing is I suppose I did or do have the symptoms of hypothyroidism, but they're symptoms I've attributed to being pregnant, such as fatigue and sluggishness! I guess once the supplement kicks in I might get a boost in energy. That would be nice.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I never knew the power of natural supplements until I tried desiccated porcine thyroid . This experience has brought me back to my real life and in good condition weight. I have decreased 40 pounds and am now enjoying life better than before.

    ReplyDelete