Monday, August 31, 2009

Test day is coming

Last week I finally got my letter about my state CNA test. My test date is 8 a.m. Sept. 17 in Janesville. It kinda stinks that I don't get to test closer to home, but I did put Janesville on my application as a site I would go to. I'd probably have to wait longer if I had only included Madison.

So I've got about a week and a half. I'll try to start studying this week. I'm so nervous though! This test will determine my future, sort of. I have to pass it in order to get a CNA job. And even if I failed I could take it again. But it will cheaper and a lot less complicated if I pass the first time. Even though I'm not going to pursue any jobs until probably January, it will be better for me to take and pass the test now before I really forget everything.

I'm not sure how I can really study for the skills portion of the test. I don't have the lab at MATC anymore, so I can't really practice the skills. I guess I'll just have to do a lot of visualization. I know the skills. I practiced most of them in clinical. But it will be different on the test. Depending on how flexible the tester is, I may have to follow the handbook to the letter. And I am so afraid I'll forget something silly like closing the privacy curtain or washing my hands. And forgetting one little thing like that will fail me. I will be tested on five out of a possible 23 skills, and I have to pass them all in order to pass the test.

At least I'm not worried about the written part of the test. That will be easy, though I do plan on refreshing my memory on that part too. This will be scary but exciting too. Just another part of my quest for the new normal. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to year you got your test date. Good luck studying. Just remember, they want you to succeed. They don't want you to kill anybody... but they want you to succeed.

    ReplyDelete