Saturday, August 8, 2009

Look what I get to do


Monday is my next prenatal doctor's appointment. And its also glucose test time! I need to have my blood tested after drinking this lovely orange substance and see how my body handles the sugar, to see if I have gestational diabetes or not.

One hour and 15 minutes before my appointment, I need to drink this sugar water drink. I have to drink it within 5 minutes. Then I need to go in 15 minutes early and have my blood taken before my appointment. This is the one-hour test. And apparently if I fail this one, I get to take a three-hour test. Aren't you jealous?

This is one test that I've been a little nervous about. I have learned that women who get gestational diabetes are likely to develop diabetes later in life.

I don't know if there was any way I could prevent gestational diabetes. I saw a dietician a few weeks ago and she says these days there seems to be no rhyme or reason to who gets it and who doesn't. Its like throwing a dart onto a dart board. I guess I'll just have to wait and see where I hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment