Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I am now employed!

As I start work this morning, I can't help but reflect on the major events of this past year. I keep talking about it, but its hard not to. It was one year ago today my life was turned upside down when I was laid off from my job as a copy editor at the Wisconsin State Journal.

Lots of people go to work every day at a job they hate. I suppose I'm lucky that I got to work six years in the career that I loved. I knew about the state of the newspaper industry and I knew my days in that industry were numbered. But I thought I had more time.

Earlier in that day, I had emailed my supervisor asking for Super Bowl Sunday off. Little did I know I'd have that day off and a lot more.

The last year was so very tough. I never dreamed I'd be unemployed for a full year. And its so ironic that not only is my job in the unemployment office, but that my first day is the anniversary of that horrible day. Before getting this job, I'd been saying we needed to plan something to do today, to take my mind off the day. Starting a new job is a pretty good diversion.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you have a great day at your new job and that Allie has a great day at day care! Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck today, girl! We're finally back in the employment arena! YAYY US! =)
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete