Friday, January 8, 2010

My running goals

This week I met my first running goal: Making it to 30 minutes!

When I was cleared to start running again last year after my stress fracture, my doctor told me to start with 10 minutes and increase by a minute or two each time get to 30. Of course, two days later I found out I was pregnant! I started running a couple weeks later when I had a bit more energy, but I wasn't able to keep up with it. I switched back to run/walk intervals and in June decided to throw in the towel.

But I started running again a month ago and made it to 30 minutes on Monday.

So now I need to make some more goals!!

My main goals for the year are to run a half marathon this spring and a full in the fall. I picked the Madison half May 30 because its local and I like the race. I ran the quarter marathon two years ago and volunteered last year.

For the full marathon, I intend to register for the New York lottery again. I'm banking on not being chosen again, but after three years not getting in, I'll get an automatic entry the next year. So I'm really counting on running New York in 2012. The race I'd really like to get into is Chicago. But if I don't get in or Doug and I decide it just isn't possible, I'll run the Fox Cities instead. I ran that half two years ago and really enjoyed it.

To get to that goal, I'm going to start training at the end of the month. In the meantime, I'm going to keep increasing my time. Right now I'm sticking with 30 minutes, but my goal is to get somewhere between 45 and 60 minutes before starting to train.

I'm choosing some goal races of smaller distances too. I have a goal 5K on Feb. 13, but that will depend more on the weather than my ability to run. Its still cold in February! I haven't been able to run outside in the winter because of my asthma, but my asthma seems to be all but gone since giving birth. And besides, there's always the possibility that it could warm up for the race too.

But really, my goal race is the Shamrock Shuffle 10K March 14. There's also a 5K, but I'm hoping to be up to 10K by then.

Other goal races include the Crazylegs Classic at the end of April and the Lake Monona 20K in the beginning of May. I may find other races to substitute or add, but these are my goals for right now.

Running is still really hard for me. But its going well. I love it and I'm glad to be doing it again. In getting my running back and getting a job, I think I am getting closer to the new normal! It makes me so happy to be able to say that!

No comments:

Post a Comment