Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Hungry hungry hippo

Remember the game where the object is to have your hippo eat the most? I got one when I was little and I think it was broken pretty quickly. I feel like I am one of those hippos lately. Allie is on a growth spurt. I have read that right now is a period of much fetal weight gain. So I wonder how much of that weight gain I will reap.

I wake up at night and need to eat. Then I eat breakfast when I get up. Sometimes I need a snack before lunch. Then I eat lunch and I go to class. I get so hungry in class! Doug and I eat dinner so early most days now just because I am starving. I'm supposedly only supposed to eat an extra 300 calories per day. I'm honestly not sure if I'm sticking to that or not. I don't eat junk food, for the most part anyway. Its just crazy how hungry I am ALL the time!

Tomorrow I have an OB appointment, where I will be weighed. It seems every month I don't gain any weight for two weeks, then I gain a little the third week, and I gain a lot the fourth week right before I go for the weigh-in. It seems I always eat the worst in that fourth week. Doug and I eat a lot of dessert, or I drink a lot of sugary juices. I didn't do that this week though, so we shall see where the weigh-in ends up.

I try not to be concerned about the weight gain. But its hard. I knew it would be hard. I put off getting pregnant as long as I could because of my continuing body issues. I know I'm supposed to gain weight right now, but that doesn't mean I like it. I'm up almost 27 pounds as of last week. There are all these guidelines for how much weight is OK to gain in pregnancy. Since I'm overweight, I was only supposed to gain 15. Ha! I gained 14 in the first trimester! But seriously, how are you supposed to control it? I know I also shouldn't be starving myself!

I'm hoping to keep my weight gain to 40. Thats a lot, but I think its realistic, even though I'm already at 27. I am staying active and eating when I need to. There's not much else I can do. I know the weight will come off after Allie's born. I just need to do my best to keep it in check now and deal with my negative emotions that come with it. Having a healthy baby is my number 1 priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment