Saturday, July 4, 2009

Celebrating our independence

Happy Independence Day everyone!

I won't lie, this year has mostly stunk. If it weren't for the birth of our daughter in just four months, I'm not sure there would be anything good about it.

But I am so thankful that I live in this great country, here in beautiful Madison, WI. We aren't threatened by war or disease or poverty. The unemployment system is not user-friendly, but at least we have one. We have it good here.

Last night Doug and I took a picnic to Elver Park for the fireworks display. We got some chips, pasta salad and pop, and then bought some subs for dinner. We enjoyed some nice outdoor time playing cards and waiting for the fireworks. And the show was amazing. We've lived in Madison for three years and never seen fireworks here because I was always working. Its too bad we missed them all these years because they were awesome.

Today we're headed to the Monona Community Festival. They have this competition called the wife carry that I think will be really fun to watch. Husbands carry their wives in a race and the winner gets his wife's weight in beer and $5 per pound. Should be entertaining. There's live music and then we'll watch more fireworks. I will admit, it is nice to be able to celebrate instead of work. Of course I'd still like to be working!

But this weekend is about fun and not sadness. We'll go to the festival tonight and then tomorrow I get to see my best friend when I go to her baby shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment