Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My running

Running is really hard right now. I'm adjusting to running at night and I'm still carrying some extra weight from pregnancy. My feet hurt after every time I run and the next morning. My knees are sore. My body is just different.

But I am starting to see glimpses of my old body, even if the scale doesn't agree. I am in the process of adjusting my diet to eat MORE, believe it or not. The first three weeks I was working I didn't work out much at all and lost 7 pounds. The next two weeks I added to exercise back in and gained 4, what? Yeah, as illogical as it seems you actually need to eat more to lose weight sometimes. Another variable in the equation is that I'm breast feeding, which burns calories too.

So I'm taking and extra sandwich and snack or two to work each day. I'm actually glad to take more food since I'm always starving by the end of the day. But on Monday and Tuesday I was not.

But back to running. It seemed so easy two years ago, at least compared to how it seems now. But really, I know it was just as hard before, just for different reasons. One of my big hangups right now is that I've done it before so while I'm trying not to have expectations, I have expectations.

My overall fitness is pretty good, but only running right now is putting me at a disadvantage. I need to figure out how to add another workout each week for cross training. I'd LOVE to start taking spin classes again. But there's just not enough time!

I always say I'm not interested in speed, but I'm realizing that I try to run too fast. This week I'm still running the same speed, but using longer walk intervals. Lo and behold, I passed the 3 mile hump on Sunday! Those 4 miles were fantastic. But then my three miles Tuesday night were hard. But I'm determined and I'm sure one of these changes I'm making will eventually make it all work right.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you that you knocked down that 3-mile running wall! And don't forget that muscle weighs more than adipose tissue so embrace that. You will be more solid and burn more fat with those muscles.
    Hang in there, girl. Keep at it. It will happen!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dreadmill always tempts you to go faster than a real "easy" run. What about some kind of workout DVD for cross training? The Madison library system has TONS of workout DVDs.

    ReplyDelete