Thursday, March 11, 2010

Breaking down the wall

People talk about "hitting the wall" in a marathon, that place around mile 20 to 22 where you just don't think you can go anymore. While I'm nowhere near a marathon, I've been dealing with that wall on a smaller scale. But I'm happy to report I broke that one down on my Monday night run!

For awhile now I've been trying to train and having a rough time. Its partly because my fitness isn't quite where I want it to be and I'm trying too hard and also because I have to get used to running in the evening. Its been nearly impossible for me to run more than 3 miles at a time. I've been trying to figure out the right way to eat at night and for awhile I thought that was the only problem.

But Monday I slowed down my speed so slightly, and it did the trick! I ran 4 miles without feeling sick or fatigued. Too bad I didn't get a chance to write about it until three days later. I'm really starting to believe that the half marathon on May 30 is most definitely possible. And I'm starting my racing season this weekend with a 5K, my first race in nearly a year.

I love feeling so positive about my running. Its a feeling I haven't had since my injury a year and a half ago.

1 comment:

  1. YAY for getting back into shape. You should be proud that you are losing weight and getting more fit with allllll the stuff you have going on right now.

    As far as healthy meal ideas... anything with beans. They are filling, quick, and even the canned kind are cheap. Also the slow cooker. Put in meat + veg + broth and leave it while you are at work. When you come home, dinner is ready. Plus, stew meat is generally cheaper than regular meat.

    ReplyDelete