Saturday, March 20, 2010

I should know better

First, the awesome news of the day: I ran FIVE miles last night! Yes, it IS possible for me to have a longish run in the evening. I think I'm getting to the point where I can put in the miles, I just need to make myself do it!

However... in my enthusiasm of running outside last week, I think I'm mildly hurt. I've always had shin spints off and on, but during and after my run last night they really hurt. I'm pretty sure its because the run I did outside on Wednesday. It was around my neighborhood and I started out on the uphill part. It was dumb, and as my title states, I should know better! There are a lot of hills in my neighborhood, but if I had started in the opposite direction they would have been at the end or not at all. But it was right after work, the weather was nice, and I needed/wanted to get going quickly.

So I had a hard time starting my run last night, I didn't think I'd make it two miles even. But I warmed up and it felt better. Right after the run and since then, however, my shins are sore, especially to the touch but also in general.

But I want to keep my eye on the good stuff of all this... not only did I achieve 5 miles again, I achieved them in the evening and after dinner. I hadn't been paying much attention to my training plan over the last two weeks so when I looked at it last night and saw that my second run of the week was 5 miles, I thought I'd try and be happy with 4.

My long run this week is supposed to be 6 miles, which would be tomorrow. However, if my shins still feel like this tomorrow, I might be better off delaying that or at least shortening it. We've got a lot of stuff coming up so I'm not sure when I'd get that run in, not to mention anything else. I'll just have to see what happens! All in all, I'm very pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment