Saturday, March 6, 2010

Five miles OUTSIDE!

I don't know which I'm more excited about, running five miles or getting to run them outside.

I've been having a hard time running more than three miles. I ran four two weeks ago but haven't been able to go long since. I now think that I just go too fast on the treadmill, so thats why I can't run long. Because I really didn't have a problem today. But my pace was 14:30 per mile, where its closer to 13:30 on the treadmill. So that explains a lot.

Though I'm not excited about my lack of speed right now, I am starting to believe that the half marathon May 30 is possible. I've been doubting my ability to train to the half marathon distance, but now I totally know I can do it. I just need to get outside because I slow myself down when I'm running on the pavement.

I've said all along I don't care about speed, but I think I'm lying. I do care, but I need to not care so much right now. My 5 miles took 1 hour 13 minutes, which was longer than 10Ks that I've run. I'm afraid of how long it will take me to run the 5K next week. But I've gotta start somewhere. Instead of getting faster, my goal is to lengthen the running portion of my intervals. Thats how I'll get faster. Right now I'm only runn three minutes and then walking two. If I can get that up to five minutes, I'd probably be back toward my old pace. My running speed is about a 12-minute mile, so I just need to run longer to improve my times.

1 comment:

  1. I'd say this is a big step on your quest for the new normal. :)

    ReplyDelete