Sunday, March 21, 2010

A milestone of sorts

I wasn't sure I could do it today, but I did. My long run is now 6 miles! This is my longest run since I was initially injured in October 2008. In fact, I remember the date. It was Oct. 29. And how fitting that this 6-mile run was on the same route as that one, the arboretum loop (affectionately known as the "arb loop" for short). Thats my favorite route too.

I remember random dates, but I had to look back in my training log to confirm that this is my longest run in a year and a half. During the time I ran last year, my longest run was 5 miles. It was the Crazylegs Classic 8K on April 25.

Another milestone of note: With a week and a half left in March, I've passed my February mileage by 5 miles already! Its my longer mileage runs as well as keeping a more consistent schedule. I'm interested to see what mileage I end up with next week.

I'm realizing that I can put in the mileage, I just need to make myself do it. But I'm also realizing that part of the reason I can't always do it is because I'm afraid. My running is actually going very well right now, but I'm afraid of failing or hurting myself. I suppose with the injury history I have, this is a valid fear. But I won't accomplish anything if I let my fears take over.

So I know I can do this. I only need to increase my long run by a minimum of 4 more miles (to get a total of 10) to run the half. I'd prefer to get a 12-miler, but I think 10 is doable. Anyway, my goal now is lengthening my running intervals. My 6 miles today were slow. It took an hour and a half. I run the same speed I always have, I just need to get myself running longer.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats!!! Way to keep getting out there. Just keep listening to your body, and you will (hopefully) keep the injuries at bay.

    ReplyDelete