Saturday, September 5, 2009

Two months to go

It's still so hard for me to believe that in two months, we will have a daughter.

Talking with some friends this week, someone else said something that stuck with me. It takes a big life event to make you realize what's really important. Getting laid off, pregnant, and pursuing a new career certainly qualify.

At the time, I thought the timing was terrible. Getting pregnant right after losing my job? I certainly didn't mean to. But now I think that timing couldn't have been better. Allie has pulled me through the tough times this year has thrown my way. How different would things be right now if I didn't have Allie to look forward to?

In addition to Allie, I am so thankful for Doug, still my biggest cheerleader, and Monk. Along with my friends and family, they've made such a difference in my life.

I had been thinking about going back to school for awhile for a new career. But in truth, I don't think I would have done it without being laid off. And I'm confident in my new career path. So as much as it stinks now, in a few years I will be in a much better spot, both in job/career satisfaction and earning potential.

My family will end up in a much better place at the end of all this, and that is the really important thing. I still have a bit of that selfish streak, but its definitely lessened after the events of this year. And thats the most important thing I have learned.

I'm still looking for the new normal. I don't know what that will be, but I know it will be good. It stinks to have to wait so long, but I know everything will turn out how it is supposed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment